This is no ordinary stroll! Explore the wonders of Ithaca’s rich natural and cultural heritage on this guided walking tour of the city’s landmarks and parks.
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- Tour Time: 3:00 pm – 5:30 pm
- Tour Availability: Saturday’s February 1st – April 25th
- Advanced reservations required
- Food tastings at 5 restaurants
- Adult with alcohol pairing
- Adult without alcohol pairing
Your Science of Taste Food Tour Itinerary
The Science of Taste is a narrated, guided tour. You will visit five local establishments, exploring a different one of the five basic tastes (sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami) with a satisfying tasting at each. We’ll discuss how we perceive these tastes, the ways in which they interact with each other, and the difference between taste and flavor. You’ll also learn how they’re used in cooking and you’ll find out whether or not you’re a super-taster!
- Savor 5 generous tastings and 3 delicious drink pairings.
- Explore one of your five basic tastes (sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami) with each course.
- Redefine how you experience food as we discuss the hidden elements behind each taste.
- The tour route keeps the group warm with short walks from one establishment to the next!
We’ll savor the 5 basic tastes with the assistance of 5 fabulous local establishments and 1 local bakery.
Luna Inspired Street Food
Street food dishes from around the globe recreated with regionally-sourced ingredients.
Thompson & Bleecker
Neopolitan pizza and organic wines served in a modern tavern space.
Bickering Twins Restaurant
Latin American cuisine with a focus on simple but classic ingredients and flavors.
Monks on the Commons
Thoughtfully-prepared food and drink with a nod to tradition and a healthy dose of novelty.
Alley Cat Cafe
Inclusive community cafe with extensive tea selection and separate cat petting rooms with felines rescued by Browncoat Cat Rescue.
Sinfully Delicious Baking Co
Custom bakery specializing in healthier & allergen-friendly baked goods using locally sourced and organic ingredients.
- Vegetarian substitutions available. Please inquire about other dietary restrictions.
- We recommend having a light breakfast the morning of your tour.
- Tours take place rain, snow, or shine. Please dress accordingly.
- For more information, view the Ithaca is Foodies FAQ
- Inside the atrium of the Tompkins Center for History & Culture at 110 N. Tioga Street.